Meet Northern Light's Technical Guide


Meet Zach Arregui 
Northern Light's Technical Guide
Image may contain: 1 person, mountain, outdoor and natureImage may contain: 1 person, mountain, icecream, outdoor and foodImage may contain: 1 person


What is your experience in the outdoors?


Grew up canoeing and camping a lot and always loved being outside but started working in the outdoors at Indiana University while I was at school there.  At IU Outdoor Adventures I learned the skills that I needed to be able to teach and lead others on trips.  Backpacking, paddling and climbing were my favorite activities but I love pretty much anything if it's outside.  After IU I also worked at a wilderness therapy boarding school in Oregon where we lived outdoors and practiced both the hard skills required for that lifestyle in addition to the interpersonal skills required to live together in a small community.  While there we also went on many adventure trips that included climbing, backpacking, horseback riding and winter camping among other things.  While I have switched to teaching in classrooms the last few years I still spend as much time as I can exploring and enjoying the outdoors.



What is your experience with kids?


I started volunteering at the Children's Museum if Indianapolis from a young age where I worked with kids (my age at the time) during demonstrations and small lessons or while managing we of the many activities that we had set up in the exhibit that I worked in.  As an adult I have worked with college students as a part of the IU Outdoor Adventures program and high school students while I was with Santiam Crossing Wilderness Therapy School in Oregon.  I have most recently spent three years as a primary school teacher in Thailand where I taught English, reading and health.


What is your favorite outdoor activity?


It's a hard choice between climbing and paddling but if I had to pick one I would choose the paddle. Sea Kayaking is one of the most relaxing (usually) and enjoyable activities I have ever known.  Plus, why carry a backpack when your boat can do that?


What is something unique about you?
I have been teaching overseas for three years and have been to every continent except Antarctica. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gear and Flame Week Fall 2018

Lagoon Outlook Garden Ribbon Cutting

Adventure Awaits